1. Home
  2. FAQ
Q: Do I need to ship my weapon to you to have this work done?
A: Yes, if you're ordering machining/refinishing on your firearm, it is typically expected that you will send the firearm/components to us.  However, if you have enough cash, I'll be happy to relocate my 5000+sq ft shop with all equipment to your living room to do the job, I'm going to need some power outlets with 200AMP 3-phase service FYI.   If you're a local area customer, you can call us to arrange a drop off time and drop off in person. You can also pick up in person when complete.

Q: Where do I send my weapon once I've made my purchase?
A:  Shipping instructions are sent at the bottom of the email receipt you receive when you complete your purchase.  It will direct you to ship to:
Fire 4 Effect Weapon Systems, LLC
1051 Meadow West Dr.
El Paso, TX 79932

Q: How should I ship my weapon?
A: First, double check the weapon is unloaded and safe. Pack the weapon in sturdy packaging, any gun cases sent will be returned with the weapon once finished. If using a gun case, pack gun cases in a cardboard box. Do not Lock the gun case. Do not mark the exterior packaging with anything indicating a weapon is inside. We recommend shipping via FedEx or UPS. They have reliable delivery, great tracking, competitive pricing.  Per the BATFE website it has the following regarding shipping guns via the US Postal Service (USPS). I've added notes in bold;

A nonlicensee (YOU) may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State (I AM LICENSED, THIS DOES NOT APPLY HERE). A nonlicensee (YOU) may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any state (ME).   The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.   Handguns are not mailable (by USPS). A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun (ie - UPS, FedEx).

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

If you, the sender, are an FFL as well, you CAN send a handgun to me via USPS.  I will not send it back this way.  The United States Post Office is responsible for several thousand dollars of 'loss' to my company either due to their flagrant incompetence or simple criminal theft.  They've proven to me repeatedly that their insurance is a scam and they will never pay out.  I don't ship via USPS.  Period.
Please be sure to ship in accordance with federal regulations. Keep in mind, these rules only apply to shipment of "firearms", not firearm parts. Contact us if you have questions.

Q: Are you required to ship the weapon back to me via an FFL? Will I have to pay a transfer fee?
A: Gunsmithing does not require me to process your firearm per the requirements of the Brady Law assuming I'm returning it to the original sender/owner AND I have no reason to believe it is illegal for the sender/owner to possess the firearm. As long as I haven't modified the gun in such a manner as to re-designate the weapon to a different class/type of weapon, I return it directly to you.   No FFL transfer is required, no additional fees.  We ship everything UPS and shipping is free.  If you are purchasing a new firearm, this does not apply.

Q: How do I purchase a weapon from you legally? Where do I pick it up?
A: If you are purchasing a new firearm from us and you are local, you can pick the weapon up at our shop. We will process your BATFE Form 4473/Background check here on site.  If you are purchasing from out of the area, we will gladly ship the weapon to an FFL of your choice. We just need that FFL to send us a copy of their FFL for our records.  You will likely be required to pay a transfer fee when you pick up the weapon from them.

Q: How do I purchase a weapon from you illegally?
A: You don't.   If we suspect you are attempting to illegally purchase a weapon, we are required to report the activity to the authorities.  Straw Purchases will land you in jail for a long time.  Please don't attempt this.

Q: What do I need to buy a firearm?
A: Money, lots and lots of money.  Ok, maybe not 'lots and lots' but enough money to pay for the firearm and we'll also need to complete a BATFE Form 4473/Background Check.  If you have a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL/LTC), we can process you quicker but we must see the license.  Out of state CHL holders cannot be processed the same.  All other purchasers will need a state/federally issued photo ID, preferably one with your Texas address printed on it (ie- Driver's License).  If you don't have a Texas ID, we will require proof of residence for wherever you reside.  We can only sell handguns directly to Texas Residents. We can sell long guns directly to Texas and New Mexico residents. Military personnel will need their photo ID as well as a copy of their 'orders' that show them stationed/assigned to Fort Bliss or White Sands.  If you have ANY questions regarding your ability to legally purchase a firearm, please consult the ATF website, your attorney or call us.  This avoids embarrassing denials from the FBI NICS center when we call in your background check.  Keep in mind, this isn't optional.  We are required by law to do this, no exceptions.   If you are out of the area, we will send the weapon to a local FFL of your choosing.   Then the weapon will be transferred directly by the appropriate licensee (FFL) and the buyer (you) when you go to pick it up.   Confused?  Call us.

Q: Who cannot legally possess a firearm?
A: Per the ATF website;

Any person who...”

  1. Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
  2. Is a fugitive from justice;
  3. Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
  4. Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
  5. Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
  6. Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
  7. Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
  8. Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
  9. Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
  10. Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]

Q: What else should I ship with my gun, if anything?
A: Please include a document with the weapon, inside the packaging that has your name, phone, address, email and a brief description of the work you'd like done, ideally a printout of your receipt from our website is best but feel free to add notes and/or pictures.

Q:  If I draw out my design for a really cool slide cut, would you do it for me?
A:  Most likely no.  We are a business trying to support a staff.  One-off jobs like this take an exceptional amount of time and effort by the staff to accomplish, they're just not financially feasible in most instances.  Now once in a while we get something from a customer that shows real promise and we'll give it a go but generally speaking, no.....

Q:  If I bring you my 80% lower, will you machine it for me?
A:  Yes, but we will then have to mark it with our company logo, name, city, state an assign it a serial number.  We'll then have to run a background check on you before giving it back.  We are a Class 07 manufacturer, so by completing your 80% for you, we manufactured a gun.  We are required to mark, record and transfer said firearm as per BATFE regulations.